Labelling points in dynamic plots

Algebra, Applied Mathematics, Calculus, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Discrete Mathematics, Geometry, Number Theory, Complex Analysis, Differential Geometry, Dynamical Systems, Statistics, etc.
Forum Rules
By using the Wolfram Faculty Program Forum, you agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually oriented material. Wolfram Faculty Program Forum administrators have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit.

Personal Information: Posts in this forum may be viewed by non-members; however, the forum prohibits non-members from viewing your profile. Although your email address is hidden from both non-members and members, your account is initially configured to allow members to contact you via email through the forum. If you wish to hide your profile, or prohibit others from contacting you directly, you may change these settings by updating your profile through the User Control Panel.

Attachments: Attachments are not currently enabled on this forum. To share a file with others on this site, simply upload your file to the online storage service of your choice and include a link to the file within your post. If your school does not offer an online file storage and sharing service, the following sites provide free basic online file storage and sharing: Mozy, FilesAnywhere, Adrive, and KeepandShare.

Labelling points in dynamic plots

Postby jagfnz » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:25 pm

I would like to label the points in the following graph ( a screen shot of the output from a manipulate command) on the outside edge of the y-axis to the left (on the vertical line through (0,0) and to the right (on the vertical line through (1,0) . The reason is that under various combination of slider selections the square boxes and circular points nearly overlap, meaning their dynamic labels do as well. At the moment I am handling the problem by using a conditional offset statement - it works, but isn't as "clean" as it could be . I'd like to actually have the dynamic labels for the red/pink circles extend outside the Plot region, so they are respectively on the left hand side of the pink circle and on the right hand side of the red circle, outside the plot region but haven't found a way of being able to do this.
A picture of the file can be found here:
http://uctv.canterbury.ac.nz/post/4/1131

ANy thoughts? suggestions?
“A theory is something nobody believes, except the person who made it. An experiment is something everybody believes, except the person who made it.” Einstein

John Fountain
john.fountain@canterbury.ac.nz
jagfnz

Organization: University of Canterbury
Department: Economics

Re: Labelling points in dynamic plots

Postby Gerrard_Liddell » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:29 am

John,
Here is one way to get the labels outside the frame;
this is just a quick example that should be tidied to synchronize the external and internal scales
but it does part of what you might have in mind. I could not tell from the web page whether you were
using 'Labeled' or such like directly.
Gerrard Liddell, Otago.

With[{x = 0.5, \[Delta] = 0.1},
Graphics[{Inset[
Graphics[{{Line[{{0, 0}, {x, 1}}], {Pink,
Disk[{x, 1}, 0.1, {-\[Pi], 0}]}}},
Frame -> True, PlotRange -> {{0, 1}, {0, 1}}], 0.5 {1, 1},
0.5 {1, 1}],
Inset[Row[{"x=", x}], {x, 1 + \[Delta]}],
Arrow[{{x, 1 + \[Delta]}, {x, 1 - \[Delta]}}]},
PlotRange -> {{-0.2, 1.2}, {-0.2, 1.2}}, Frame -> True,
FrameTicks -> None]
]
Gerrard_Liddell

Organization: University of Otago
Department: Mathematics

Re: Labelling points in dynamic plots

Postby telefunkenvf14 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:44 am

ANy thoughts? suggestions?

John:

I haven't had time to play with your example yet, but came across documentation I had previously downloaded for LevelScheme, and thought you might be interested in the resource. LevelScheme is a freely available 3rd party tool for customizing figures and text in Mathematica.

Have a look and download: http://wnsl.physics.yale.edu/levelscheme/

-RG
telefunkenvf14

Organization: University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Department: Economics

Return to Mathematics and Statistics (Higher Education)