Mathematica in Computer Science

Applied Science, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Control Systems, Electrical Engineering, Fluid Mechanics, Image Processing, Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Signal Processing, Computational Geometry, Computer Graphics, Data Structures, Algorithm Development, Numerical Analysis, Cryptography, etc.
Forum Rules
By using the Wolfram Faculty Program Forum, you agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually oriented material. Wolfram Faculty Program Forum administrators have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit.

Personal Information: Posts in this forum may be viewed by non-members; however, the forum prohibits non-members from viewing your profile. Although your email address is hidden from both non-members and members, your account is initially configured to allow members to contact you via email through the forum. If you wish to hide your profile, or prohibit others from contacting you directly, you may change these settings by updating your profile through the User Control Panel.

Attachments: Attachments are not currently enabled on this forum. To share a file with others on this site, simply upload your file to the online storage service of your choice and include a link to the file within your post. If your school does not offer an online file storage and sharing service, the following sites provide free basic online file storage and sharing: Mozy, FilesAnywhere, Adrive, and KeepandShare.

Mathematica in Computer Science

Postby Kathy_Bautista » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:23 pm

Computer Science students are introduced to a variety of programming languages...C, C++, Java, etc. Mathematica is unique in that it is a highly developed symbolic language which unifies a broad range of programming paradigms.

Do you feel computer science faculty should also introduce students to Mathematica?

-Kathy
Katherine Bautista
Senior Academic Program Manager
Wolfram Research, Inc.
http://www.wolfram.com
Kathy_Bautista
Site Admin

Organization: Wolfram Research, Inc.
Department: Academic Initiatives

Re: Mathematica in Computer Science

Postby bsyehuda » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:22 pm

Since I'm not a CS person I just can tell from my own experience. One of my Ph.D. students has two degrees in Mathematica and is excellent with C++ due to his former industrial experience. His CS background allowed him to learn Mathematica rather quickly (comparing to others) since the functional and pattern matching concepts were not new for him. I see now that he is using Mathematica more often for his research needs, and even converting parts of previous simulations to MAthematica.

So, the general answer is certainly. The main advantage for this students population is the availability of a tool that integrates all the advanced concepts in one language. This is certainly the best advantage, since each concept was previously taught with a different tool (scheme for functional programming, regular expressions for pattern matching etc.)

Under this context I think the CS people will benefit also from Workbench sine it also integrates various aspects of software engineering that are parts of a "correct" software development path.

yehuda
bsyehuda

Organization: Ben-Gurion University
Department: Communication Systems Engineering

Return to Engineering and Computer Science (Higher Education)