Sneak Peak at Mathematica 8: Integrated GPU Programming

General discussion about Mathematica features and functionality...
Forum Rules
By using the Wolfram Faculty Program Forum, you agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually oriented material. Wolfram Faculty Program Forum administrators have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit.

Personal Information: Posts in this forum may be viewed by non-members; however, the forum prohibits non-members from viewing your profile. Although your email address is hidden from both non-members and members, your account is initially configured to allow members to contact you via email through the forum. If you wish to hide your profile, or prohibit others from contacting you directly, you may change these settings by updating your profile through the User Control Panel.

Attachments: Attachments are not currently enabled on this forum. To share a file with others on this site, simply upload your file to the online storage service of your choice and include a link to the file within your post. If your school does not offer an online file storage and sharing service, the following sites provide free basic online file storage and sharing: Mozy, FilesAnywhere, Adrive, and KeepandShare.

Sneak Peak at Mathematica 8: Integrated GPU Programming

Postby Kathy_Bautista » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:04 pm

Wolfram Research recently announced a technical collaboration with NVIDIA with plans to integrate GPU acceleration into Mathematica 8.
http://www.wolfram.com/news/GPU.html

Of particular interest...
"NVIDIA's GPU architecture can transform Mathematica's computing, modeling, simulation, and visualization performance, boosting speed by up to a factor of 100"

The blog post below offers some examples of the benefits of this upcoming feature that extend beyond just speed improvements:
http://blog.wolfram.com/2010/09/20/tapp ... thematica/

How many of you currently use GPU-equipped hardware, or plan to do so in the near future?

-Kathy
Katherine Bautista
Senior Academic Program Manager
Wolfram Research, Inc.
http://www.wolfram.com
Kathy_Bautista
Site Admin

Organization: Wolfram Research, Inc.
Department: Academic Initiatives

Re: Sneak Peak at Mathematica 8: Integrated GPU Programming

Postby Alexandre_Schmidt » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:43 pm

Hello,

I am a physicist and my research focus is on Quantum Control. I have two nNVidia video cards working in SLI, and I can barely wait to see Mathematica using GPUs.
Alexandre_Schmidt

Organization: Universidade Federal Fluminense
Department: Ciencias Exatas

Postby S_Izen » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:10 pm

I have a Tesla board in my Linux box, and a CUDA-capable NVidia graphics card in my laptop, so I will definitely be using the Mathematica GPU enhancements.

Steve Izen
Steven H. Izen, Professor of Mathematics, Case Western Reserve University
Emails: University Business: shi@cwru.edu Personal: steven.izen@gmail.com
NCSE Steve #382
Phones: Analog (Voice): 216-368-2891 <--> Digital (Fax): 216-368-5163
S_Izen

Organization: Case Western Reserve University
Department: Mathematics

Postby murray » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:07 pm

Drat: that seems to leave out in the cold those of us who use ATI (soon-to-be-renamed AMD) graphics cards. (I stick with them because of unfortunate experiences in the past with unstable drivers for nVidia cards.)
murray

Organization: University of Massachusetts
Department: Mathematics and Statistics

Postby Andrew_Dougherty » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:28 pm

Under which operating systems will this likely be supported?
Andrew_Dougherty

Organization: Lafayette College
Department: Physics

Postby Kathy_Bautista » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:34 pm

Andrew_Dougherty wrote:Under which operating systems will this likely be supported?

Support will be offered for both CUDA (Nvidia) as well as OpenCL, which will allow you to access this functionality from machines running Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux.

-Kathy
Katherine Bautista
Senior Academic Program Manager
Wolfram Research, Inc.
http://www.wolfram.com
Kathy_Bautista
Site Admin

Organization: Wolfram Research, Inc.
Department: Academic Initiatives

Postby telefunkenvf14 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:40 am

murray wrote:Drat: that seems to leave out in the cold those of us who use ATI (soon-to-be-renamed AMD) graphics cards. (I stick with them because of unfortunate experiences in the past with unstable drivers for nVidia cards.)

All is not lost!! There is something similar for AMD cards... OpenCL (I haven't been able to test it in the beta of v8, but it's in there!!!)

-RG
telefunkenvf14

Organization: University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Department: Economics

Return to General Mathematica Discussion