FullSimplify

General discussion about Mathematica features and functionality...
Forum Rules
By using the Wolfram Faculty Program Forum, you agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually oriented material. Wolfram Faculty Program Forum administrators have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit.

Personal Information: Posts in this forum may be viewed by non-members; however, the forum prohibits non-members from viewing your profile. Although your email address is hidden from both non-members and members, your account is initially configured to allow members to contact you via email through the forum. If you wish to hide your profile, or prohibit others from contacting you directly, you may change these settings by updating your profile through the User Control Panel.

Attachments: Attachments are not currently enabled on this forum. To share a file with others on this site, simply upload your file to the online storage service of your choice and include a link to the file within your post. If your school does not offer an online file storage and sharing service, the following sites provide free basic online file storage and sharing: Mozy, FilesAnywhere, Adrive, and KeepandShare.

FullSimplify

Postby Rolf_Sulanke » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:32 pm

The procedure FullSimplify yields often excellent results in a comparatively short time. But there exist situations in which one doesn't obtain a result waiting a long time, or one gets an unsatisfactory result only.. The reason can be that necessary simplification rules are not correctly implemented. I met such situations simplifying large formulas in symbolic calculations in Möbius differential geometry, since Mathematica could not simplify some trigonometric expressions hidden in these formulas. Hoping that in future versions the simplification procedure can be improved I noticed in my notebook Simplify.nb the problematic expressions. The notebook can be downloaded from my homepage
http://www-irm.mathematik.hu-berlin.de/ ... implify.nb
Please tell me if you made similar experiences, or if you know ways to avoid such problems.
Rolf Sulanke
Rolf_Sulanke

Organization: Humboldt University
Department: Mathematics

Re: FullSimplify

Postby Kathy_Bautista » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:26 am

Rolf_Sulanke wrote:The procedure FullSimplify yields often excellent results in a comparatively short time. But there exist situations in which one doesn't obtain a result waiting a long time, or one gets an unsatisfactory result only.. The reason can be that necessary simplification rules are not correctly implemented. I met such situations simplifying large formulas in symbolic calculations in Möbius differential geometry, since Mathematica could not simplify some trigonometric expressions hidden in these formulas. Hoping that in future versions the simplification procedure can be improved I noticed in my notebook Simplify.nb the problematic expressions. The notebook can be downloaded from my homepage
http://www-irm.mathematik.hu-berlin.de/ ... implify.nb
Please tell me if you made similar experiences, or if you know ways to avoid such problems.
Rolf Sulanke

I have just sent you an email with a notebook containing workarounds. If anyone else is experiencing the same issue and would like a copy of this notebook, please let me know.

-Kathy
Katherine Bautista
Senior Academic Program Manager
Wolfram Research, Inc.
http://www.wolfram.com
Kathy_Bautista
Site Admin

Organization: Wolfram Research, Inc.
Department: Academic Initiatives

Postby Rolf_Sulanke » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:34 pm

Hello, Kathy,

Thank you very much for your kind and useful answer, which I added to the notebook Simplify.nb on my homepage.
Moreover, in this notebook you can find a new 5th example concerning a very simple limit simplification, which has not been carried out by Mathematica v. 7.0.
Unfortunately the simple examples contained in the notebook as a rule appear as parts of very large expressions which then must be analyzed manually. Thus it would be nice if in future versions of Mathematica the FullSimplify function would make such manual conversions unnecessary.
Rolf
Rolf_Sulanke

Postby Rolf_Sulanke » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:39 am

Unfortunately, I met another problem in using Simplify. A comparatively simple Simplify process finished very fast with the failure message "No more memory..." on a computer with 16 GB RAM, see the notebook http://www-irm.mathematik.hu-berlin.de/~sulanke/Notebooks/nomorememory.nb on my homepage http://www-irm.mathematik.hu-berlin.de/~sulanke/sulanke-MuM.html. I would appreciate it very much if other users would communicate similar experiences or hints to workarounds.
Rolf_Sulanke

Return to General Mathematica Discussion