Adding a logo to brand your slide show

General discussion about Mathematica features and functionality...
Forum Rules
By using the Wolfram Faculty Program Forum, you agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually oriented material. Wolfram Faculty Program Forum administrators have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit.

Personal Information: Posts in this forum may be viewed by non-members; however, the forum prohibits non-members from viewing your profile. Although your email address is hidden from both non-members and members, your account is initially configured to allow members to contact you via email through the forum. If you wish to hide your profile, or prohibit others from contacting you directly, you may change these settings by updating your profile through the User Control Panel.

Attachments: Attachments are not currently enabled on this forum. To share a file with others on this site, simply upload your file to the online storage service of your choice and include a link to the file within your post. If your school does not offer an online file storage and sharing service, the following sites provide free basic online file storage and sharing: Mozy, FilesAnywhere, Adrive, and KeepandShare.

Adding a logo to brand your slide show

Postby Michael_Morrison » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:45 pm

Hi,

I've talked to several professors this summer about how to add a logo or graphic to the top of a slide show, to help "brand" the document. Here are a couple screenshots to illustrate what I mean:

In both of these examples, the graphic in question (the blue box in the first example, and the Wolfram logo in the second example) appears at the top of all of the slides, making the document instantly recognizable as the slides are flipped through.

The way to do this for your own documents is to use DockedCells. You can read about them in the documentation, but to make this easy, I've provided a notebook to help you add DockedCells to a slide show template. Simply download the CreatingASlideshowWithADockedCell.nb from here, open it up, and read through the instructions. The file contains a sample graphic, but you can use your own graphics by dragging and dropping them in the appropriate section in the notebook or by using the Import command. At the end, you should have your own, customized slide show template to use for presentations.

I hope some of you find this useful, and if you run into any trouble, reply to the thread and I'll help out.

Thanks,
Michael
Michael_Morrison

Organization: Wolfram Research, Inc.
Department: Academic Initiatives

Re: Adding a logo to brand your slide show

Postby javiator » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:48 pm

Hi Michael,
I tried downloading CreatingASlideshowWithADockedCell.nb, but am unable to do so. Is it available elsewhere?
Thanks,
John
John A. Viator, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Departments of Biological Engineering and Dermatology
University of Missouri
viatorj@missouri.edu
javiator

Organization: University of Missouri
Department: Biological Engineering

Postby Michael_Morrison » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:29 pm

John,

Strange --- did you get an error message? Let me try posting a direct link: http://members.wolfram.com/mmorrison/Notebooks/CreatingASlideshowWithADockedCell.nb

Does that work for you?

Thanks,
Michael
Michael_Morrison

Postby javiator » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:00 pm

Hi Michael,
I don't know what is wrong. I click the link and the new link you supplied. I also copy and pasted the URL
to a new browser window and it just times out after a few minutes and Chrome prompts me to kill the page.
Thanks,
John
John A. Viator, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Departments of Biological Engineering and Dermatology
University of Missouri
viatorj@missouri.edu
javiator

Organization: University of Missouri
Department: Biological Engineering

Postby Kathy_Bautista » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:30 am

Hi John,

I've posted a copy of this notebook in the Wolfram Library Archive:
http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/7840/

If you're unable to download from there let me know and I'll email you the notebook directly.

-Kathy
Katherine Bautista
Senior Academic Program Manager
Wolfram Research, Inc.
http://www.wolfram.com
Kathy_Bautista
Site Admin

Postby Tom_DeVries » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:47 pm

Thanks for posting this Michael!

Is there any way to make sure the docked cells can't be removed?

I have created a lot of lessons and would like to distribute them, but with a "header" or something that at least acknowledges where they came from.

It would be nice to be able to "protect" the file by making sure the docked cells stay there....

But I suspect any Mathematica user would be able to modify the docked cells option?

Tom
Tom_DeVries

Organization: NorthStar Academy
Department: Mathematics

Postby Michael_Morrison » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:36 pm

Tom,

I don't know of a foolproof way to preserve DockedCells from someone who knows their way around. However, there are some things you can do, like setting Deployed->True at the Notebook level. This will suppress the cursor and prevent general editing of the notebook but will still preserve interactivity. This might be good enough, depending on your intended audience for distribution, of course...

Thanks!
Michael
Michael_Morrison

Postby Michael_Morrison » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:59 pm

I should also mention that a question was raised about how to add DockedCells to a set of preexisting notebooks. (For example, suppose you have a collection of courseware that you've created and you want to add your contact information at the top of all of them.) This is actually pretty easy to do in Mathematica thanks to its file-handling capabilities. If anyone is interested, post or message me and I'll provide some instruction on how to do this.

Thanks,
Michael
Michael_Morrison

Return to General Mathematica Discussion