Online classes and problem solving

General discussion about Mathematica features and functionality...
Forum Rules
By using the Wolfram Faculty Program Forum, you agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually oriented material. Wolfram Faculty Program Forum administrators have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit.

Personal Information: Posts in this forum may be viewed by non-members; however, the forum prohibits non-members from viewing your profile. Although your email address is hidden from both non-members and members, your account is initially configured to allow members to contact you via email through the forum. If you wish to hide your profile, or prohibit others from contacting you directly, you may change these settings by updating your profile through the User Control Panel.

Attachments: Attachments are not currently enabled on this forum. To share a file with others on this site, simply upload your file to the online storage service of your choice and include a link to the file within your post. If your school does not offer an online file storage and sharing service, the following sites provide free basic online file storage and sharing: Mozy, FilesAnywhere, Adrive, and KeepandShare.

Online classes and problem solving

Postby Tom_DeVries » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:00 pm

Hi everyone,

A challenge with problem solving and online schools is that the kids know the answer is there....
A few schools have online sessions that are scheduled in real time so you actually discuss things, and can hopefully get kids to engage...

But the school I teach for is "asynchronous" , so the kids are "everywhere" and "every time".

So we don't ever insist on kids being a part of an online discussion.

The Phillips Exeter Academy has a curriculum that is 100% problem solving based, and they have all their questions available online (no answers though!)

I tried to take one of the Exeter problems and solve it in little tiny steps, the idea being, (assuming the student actually wanted to do the problem),
that a student could try, get a little help, try some more, get more help, etc.
So they could hopefully learn if they didn't have a clue, or do at least some of the problem even if they didn't have a clue.

This works well in Mathematica since you can use cell groups to "hide" the steps.

I'd be interested in any feedback on online education in general, problem solving, and whether this approach used in the question might be effective.

I posted the question online at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24411154/Proble ... roblem.zip

Tom
Tom_DeVries

Organization: NorthStar Academy
Department: Mathematics

Re: Online classes and problem solving

Postby Andy_Dorsett » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:56 pm

Good afternoon!

As a former math teacher and department chair - I really see the value in the Mathematica notebook you attached. I see how students who like a challenge can work through it without looking at hints, whereas the students who need that extra "nudge" can easily get that below your main diagram.

There is a challenge in online education to make it not only relevant to future classes, college, and careers but also educationally sound and inventive (which, I believe you must be inventive with online education to keep lessons from being white-paper-on-the-screen.)

The beauty of using Mathematica with online education is that the flexibility is there for many levels of classes and different methods of content delivery. The walk-through method you gave is very impressive and very useful for this problem. I've created a few interactive lesson plans that could be used in online education as well. The link to check them out is here:
http://library.wolfram.com/search/?quer ... e&x=17&y=8

I'd love to hear your thoughts on these, as they have a different look and feel than yours do.

Thanks!
Andy_Dorsett

Organization: Wolfram Research, Inc.
Department: Sales

Return to General Mathematica Discussion