Sigma Notation super/subscript

General discussion about Mathematica features and functionality...
Forum Rules
By using the Wolfram Faculty Program Forum, you agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually oriented material. Wolfram Faculty Program Forum administrators have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit.

Personal Information: Posts in this forum may be viewed by non-members; however, the forum prohibits non-members from viewing your profile. Although your email address is hidden from both non-members and members, your account is initially configured to allow members to contact you via email through the forum. If you wish to hide your profile, or prohibit others from contacting you directly, you may change these settings by updating your profile through the User Control Panel.

Attachments: Attachments are not currently enabled on this forum. To share a file with others on this site, simply upload your file to the online storage service of your choice and include a link to the file within your post. If your school does not offer an online file storage and sharing service, the following sites provide free basic online file storage and sharing: Mozy, FilesAnywhere, Adrive, and KeepandShare.

Sigma Notation super/subscript

Postby Rob_Holman » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:38 am

Hello all:

I'm relatively new to this program, so the subtleties of the software are sinking in. I've noticed in some of the tutorials and literature that in sigma notation, the limits are often to the right of the sigma, but occasionally truly above and below the sigma. I strongly prefer to have them appear above and below the sigma, rather than high and low to the right. Can anyone give me a suggestion on how to do this every time?

Thanks for the help...

Rob
Rob_Holman

Organization: The Walker School
Department: Mathematics and Science

Re: Sigma Notation super/subscript

Postby Michael_Morrison » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:04 pm

Hi Rob,

If you use one of the palettes (Palettes > Classroom Assistant palette, Palettes > Basic Math Assistant palette), the sum notation that's pasted places the index initiation and termination strictly below and above the sigma. You can also type the command using Mathematica syntax (e.g., Sum[i^2,{i,1,10}]), then highlight the command and choose Cell > Convert To > TraditionalForm to have it pretty-printed, which also places the index initiation and termination below and above the sigma.

Thanks,
Michael
Michael_Morrison

Organization: Wolfram Research, Inc.
Department: Academic Initiatives

Re: Sigma Notation super/subscript

Postby Rob_Holman » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:51 pm

Michael:

Thanks for the advice! I found that my problem was that I was typing in a text cell, and the upper/lower index limits were not possible if I stayed in text mode. Changing the format to "Display Formula" fixed the issue, as did your advice about inputting the expression.

Thanks again.

Rob
Rob_Holman

Organization: The Walker School
Department: Mathematics and Science

Return to General Mathematica Discussion