Demonstrations and Lab Assignments?

General discussion about Mathematica features and functionality...
Forum Rules
By using the Wolfram Faculty Program Forum, you agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually oriented material. Wolfram Faculty Program Forum administrators have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit.

Personal Information: Posts in this forum may be viewed by non-members; however, the forum prohibits non-members from viewing your profile. Although your email address is hidden from both non-members and members, your account is initially configured to allow members to contact you via email through the forum. If you wish to hide your profile, or prohibit others from contacting you directly, you may change these settings by updating your profile through the User Control Panel.

Attachments: Attachments are not currently enabled on this forum. To share a file with others on this site, simply upload your file to the online storage service of your choice and include a link to the file within your post. If your school does not offer an online file storage and sharing service, the following sites provide free basic online file storage and sharing: Mozy, FilesAnywhere, Adrive, and KeepandShare.

Demonstrations and Lab Assignments?

Postby beccyr » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:43 pm

I had a comment from a professor who's looking for creative ways to incorporate Mathematica into lab work. Her initial thought was to have a Demonstration Assignment, requiring all of her students to create a Demonstration on any of the semester topics in their Physics Course by the end of the semester. Have any of you tried anything like this? What tips do you have for her? Do you have any suggestions for other creative ways she can incorporate Mathematica into her students' lab assignments?
beccyr

Organization: WRI
Department: IBD

Re: Demonstrations and Lab Assignments?

Postby Jose_Luis_Gomez » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:17 pm

One or two year ago I organized a "Manipulate contest". Only interested students signed in. I gave them two lectures on the use of Mathematica, then I helped each one of them to develop her/his Demonstration. Profesors voted for the best Manipulates, and we gave them I prize (books, Mathematica license, MathLink for Excel license) at the end of a conference by Ulises Cervantes (Kernel programmer of Mathematica) in our Campus. Here are their Manipulates, not all of them work as expected, but it was a great expirience:

http://homepage.cem.itesm.mx/lgomez/ingenia/menu.html

Hope that helps
Jose
Mexico
Jose_Luis_Gomez

Organization: ITESM CEM Mexico
Department: Ciencias Basicas

Re: Demonstrations and Lab Assignments?

Postby telefunkenvf14 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:21 pm

Jose's approach sounds like a good idea. I had students using MMA for homeworks and they all created several kinds of manipulatable interfaces; the 'contest approach' seems like it would be a cool way to let students show off their creativity.

Just make sure students aren't swiping code from the Demonstrations Project (without citing and understanding the code)----To that effect, I'd also recommend asking them to submit a step-by-step explanation of how they put everything together, explaining what they're trying to do and how each step accomplishes something toward the final program.

-RG
telefunkenvf14

Organization: University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Department: Economics

Return to General Mathematica Discussion