Examples of parallel computing

Algebra, Applied Mathematics, Calculus, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Discrete Mathematics, Geometry, Number Theory, Complex Analysis, Differential Geometry, Dynamical Systems, Statistics, etc.
Forum Rules
By using the Wolfram Faculty Program Forum, you agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually oriented material. Wolfram Faculty Program Forum administrators have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit.

Personal Information: Posts in this forum may be viewed by non-members; however, the forum prohibits non-members from viewing your profile. Although your email address is hidden from both non-members and members, your account is initially configured to allow members to contact you via email through the forum. If you wish to hide your profile, or prohibit others from contacting you directly, you may change these settings by updating your profile through the User Control Panel.

Attachments: Attachments are not currently enabled on this forum. To share a file with others on this site, simply upload your file to the online storage service of your choice and include a link to the file within your post. If your school does not offer an online file storage and sharing service, the following sites provide free basic online file storage and sharing: Mozy, FilesAnywhere, Adrive, and KeepandShare.

Examples of parallel computing

Postby Radoslaw_Jedynak » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:38 pm

I teach students of maths how to use some mathematics applications. The main program of course is Mathematica. I would like to show in the end of this term some examples with parallel computing. I would be very glad if someone tells me what examples will be the best to show the idea of these operations, their useful for them.
Radoslaw_Jedynak

Organization: Technical University of Radom
Department: Mathematics

Re: Examples of parallel computing

Postby Kelvin_Mischo » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:59 am

You might want to take a look at this video that I created recently that covers the basics of parallel computing.
http://www.wolfram.com/broadcast/screen ... abilities/

The first example shows how to find Mersenne primes in a large list (and how to use multiple machines or cores to find them more quickly).

The last example uses differential equations to make a nice animation.

So you hope these are either interesting ideas, or naturally lead you to interesting ideas. Definitely post what you settle on for examples, I'm sure we'd all be curious to hear what you find most interesting for student projects.

Kelvin
Kelvin_Mischo

Organization: Wolfram Research, Inc.
Department: Sales

Postby Radoslaw_Jedynak » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:52 pm

Thanks Kelvin for your answer. The presentation is very interesting. I think that some of examples I try to adopt for my lecture. I think also about algebra tasks, for example linear systems.

I have one question. Is it difficult to create cluster from about 10 computers (“old” with one core). What I need to install on each computer and on “server”. How can I simply test the powerful of this HPC cluster?

Radek
Radoslaw_Jedynak

Organization: Technical University of Radom
Department: Mathematics

Postby Kelvin_Mischo » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:52 am

Hi Radek,

I apologize, it's been too long since I've been back to this forum!

The short answer to your question is that it is very easy to create ad-hoc clusters, in other words, clusters made up of computer lab machines or other machines in the department (even mixed platforms).

In terms of licensing, if you have a site license already, this might be quite easy (you could draw from the pool of licenses that you already have), or it might make sense to add a few extra licenses for this purpose. We have all sorts of bundles to give you nice pricing as needed.

I'll have someone get in touch with you about details who can look up your type of site license and recommend a way to test this...we could probably help you set up trial licenses as well if that would be useful.

thanks! Kelvin
Kelvin_Mischo

Postby Justin_Smith » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:05 pm

Radoslaw_Jedynak wrote:Thanks Kelvin for your answer. The presentation is very interesting. I think that some of examples I try to adopt for my lecture. I think also about algebra tasks, for example linear systems.

I have one question. Is it difficult to create cluster from about 10 computers (“old” with one core). What I need to install on each computer and on “server”. How can I simply test the powerful of this HPC cluster?

Radek

Lightweight grid manager makes this very simple, you may want to look into using that.
Justin_Smith

Return to Mathematics and Statistics (Higher Education)