Particle tracking with Mathematica

Applied Science, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Control Systems, Electrical Engineering, Fluid Mechanics, Image Processing, Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Signal Processing, Computational Geometry, Computer Graphics, Data Structures, Algorithm Development, Numerical Analysis, Cryptography, etc.
Forum Rules
By using the Wolfram Faculty Program Forum, you agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually oriented material. Wolfram Faculty Program Forum administrators have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit.

Personal Information: Posts in this forum may be viewed by non-members; however, the forum prohibits non-members from viewing your profile. Although your email address is hidden from both non-members and members, your account is initially configured to allow members to contact you via email through the forum. If you wish to hide your profile, or prohibit others from contacting you directly, you may change these settings by updating your profile through the User Control Panel.

Attachments: Attachments are not currently enabled on this forum. To share a file with others on this site, simply upload your file to the online storage service of your choice and include a link to the file within your post. If your school does not offer an online file storage and sharing service, the following sites provide free basic online file storage and sharing: Mozy, FilesAnywhere, Adrive, and KeepandShare.

Particle tracking with Mathematica

Postby Andreas_Dewanto » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:01 am

Dear all,

I am having a problem which requires me to do image processing for tracking particle (e.g. brownian motion), making use the high contrast image from, say, a microscope.

I know this problem can easily be solved using IDL or Matlab, and there are already freely and commercially available software out there to do the job. But I've been a Mathematica users for a long time, and would like to seek if there's ever Mathematica program or function developed to run such task. I just sort of reluctant to move to another software as I'm already hooked up to Mathematica ^_^

Thanks in advance.

cheers :)
Andreas_Dewanto

Organization: National University of Singapore
Department: Physics

Re: Particle tracking with Mathematica

Postby Kelvin_Mischo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:28 pm

Hi Andreas,

It sounds like you probably have Mathematica 8, and although I'm not an image processing expert, there are some good guides about feature detection that should probably explain what functions will be the most helpful for your application:
http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematic ... ction.html

Also, if you'd like more advice on building a program and a custom interface to have students use during a lab exercise or course project, let me know. I think it's likely that someone has created something like this already; or someone at Wolfram might be able to get you started with an outline for how to build this.

thanks,
Kelvin
Kelvin_Mischo

Organization: Wolfram Research, Inc.
Department: Sales

Postby Michael_Morrison » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:25 pm

Andreas,

You might want to check out part of this video (starting at 2:25), which shows an example of using Mathematica to build an interface to analyze visual data (in this case, an experiment involving particles photographed under a microscope):
http://www.wolfram.com/broadcast/screen ... hematica7/

Thanks,
Michael
Michael_Morrison

Department: Academic Initiatives

Postby Andreas_Dewanto » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:47 pm

Dear Michael,

Thank you so much. This is certainly what I need. It seems to me the video is generated as part of Wolfram's "marketing" for Mathematica. Do you have any idea where Wolfram publish the notebook the guy used in his presentation?

Well, worse-comes-to-worst, I'll just retype the command lines given in the video to try out myself. Luckily the guy scroll thru the programme in his presentation screen.

Andreas_Dewanto

Organization: National University of Singapore
Department: Physics

Postby telefunkenvf14 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:31 pm

Andreas_Dewanto wrote:Dear Michael,

...Do you have any idea where Wolfram publish the notebook the guy used in his presentation?

When I read your original post, the same screencast came to mind... I would also like to see the notebook!!

-RG
telefunkenvf14

Organization: University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Department: Economics

Postby Kathy_Bautista » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:15 pm

As luck would have it, I just spoke to Jon McLoone, the author of that notebook (and screencast). He plans to update the code from that particular example and highlight it on blog.wolfram.com in the next few weeks, including a full explanation of how it works. I'll post a link as soon as it is available.

-Kathy
Katherine Bautista
Senior Academic Program Manager
Wolfram Research, Inc.
http://www.wolfram.com
Kathy_Bautista
Site Admin

Postby telefunkenvf14 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:07 am

Good news! Thanks!

-RG
telefunkenvf14

Organization: University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Department: Economics

Postby Kathy_Bautista » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:50 pm

Jon McLoone's blog "Building a Microscopy Application in Mathematica" was just posted today:
http://blog.wolfram.com/2011/09/09/buil ... thematica/

The notebook can be downloaded here:
http://blog.wolfram.com/data/uploads/20 ... opyBlog.nb

-Kathy
Katherine Bautista
Senior Academic Program Manager
Wolfram Research, Inc.
http://www.wolfram.com
Kathy_Bautista
Site Admin

Return to Engineering and Computer Science (Higher Education)