Random Question Generators

Arithmetic, Decimals and Fractions, Prealgebra, Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, Trigonometry, Precalculus, Calculus, Discrete Math, Probability and Statistics, etc.
Forum Rules
By using the Wolfram Faculty Program Forum, you agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually oriented material. Wolfram Faculty Program Forum administrators have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit.

Personal Information: Posts in this forum may be viewed by non-members; however, the forum prohibits non-members from viewing your profile. Although your email address is hidden from both non-members and members, your account is initially configured to allow members to contact you via email through the forum. If you wish to hide your profile, or prohibit others from contacting you directly, you may change these settings by updating your profile through the User Control Panel.

Attachments: Attachments are not currently enabled on this forum. To share a file with others on this site, simply upload your file to the online storage service of your choice and include a link to the file within your post. If your school does not offer an online file storage and sharing service, the following sites provide free basic online file storage and sharing: Mozy, FilesAnywhere, Adrive, and KeepandShare.

Random Question Generators

Postby Kyle_Prince » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:45 am

I have been working on a random question generator that would help prepare my Algebra 2 students for the End of Course test at the end of the year. I have had to work out some of the bugs, and I know the code could've been much simpler, but it does the job. You can either select the type of question or randomly generate not only the question, but the type of question as well. It keeps track of correct/incorrect answers and won't generate a new question until the current one is answered. The link below is to my random question generator for Chapter 5 (Quadratics/Complex Numbers). Let me know what you think.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37191587/Chapter5.nb

- Kyle
Kyle_Prince

Organization: Central Magnet School
Department: Math

Re: Random Question Generators

Postby Kyle_Prince » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:03 pm

Kyle_Prince

Postby Kelvin_Mischo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:16 pm

Hi Kyle,

These are nice! Thanks for sharing, there's a nice infrastructure here for assessment.

Kelvin
Kelvin_Mischo

Organization: Wolfram Research, Inc.
Department: Sales

Postby Kyle_Prince » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:48 am

Thanks Kelvin. Your talk at the conference in October inspired me to try and figure it out. Its not the most concise, but it works. You may remember me...Sean McDonald introduced us in the office during my tour one day. Anyways, my students don't have Mathematica so I had to try and figure out a way for them to be able to answer questions without an input field.

I'm still working on a way to export the data. I'm not quite sure how that all works yet.

- Kyle
Kyle_Prince

Postby Andy_Dorsett » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:51 pm

Kyle -

I agree with Kelvin, these are very nice. And, although it may be cumbersome for you right now, you'll end up finding ways to shorten the code with additional generators you create. As a former Math teacher (and department chair) myself, I really like that it keeps a running tally of the number of correct and incorrect answers.

Andy
Andy_Dorsett

Organization: Wolfram Research, Inc.
Department: Sales

Return to Mathematics and Statistics (Primary/Secondary)