Changing the Output Style

Arithmetic, Decimals and Fractions, Prealgebra, Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, Trigonometry, Precalculus, Calculus, Discrete Math, Probability and Statistics, etc.
Forum Rules
By using the Wolfram Faculty Program Forum, you agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually oriented material. Wolfram Faculty Program Forum administrators have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit.

Personal Information: Posts in this forum may be viewed by non-members; however, the forum prohibits non-members from viewing your profile. Although your email address is hidden from both non-members and members, your account is initially configured to allow members to contact you via email through the forum. If you wish to hide your profile, or prohibit others from contacting you directly, you may change these settings by updating your profile through the User Control Panel.

Attachments: Attachments are not currently enabled on this forum. To share a file with others on this site, simply upload your file to the online storage service of your choice and include a link to the file within your post. If your school does not offer an online file storage and sharing service, the following sites provide free basic online file storage and sharing: Mozy, FilesAnywhere, Adrive, and KeepandShare.

Changing the Output Style

Postby Andrew_Bayliss » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:47 pm

I am currently teaching a PreCalculus course, and I am using Mathematica to write units & texts for my course. But one thing I am having trouble is formatting the output. The stylesheet that I am using is "Textbook", and I would like to have the "f" in "f(x)" appear as Times New Roman - Bold Italic. I would like to do this as a default typeset for all my Outputs. It just looks more traditional/professional than the current typeset of Courier. I have tried editing the Stylesheet - "Output", but it does not change the look of the Output in the following code.

ProbNum= 6;
eval={13, 23, 30, -15, -17, 12.5};
firstrow={" ","f(x)", "=", "f(Reference #)", "=", "range value"};
Questions =Table[{StringForm["``.)",i],StringForm["f(``)",eval[[i]]],"=","f(__________)","=", "__________"},{i,1,ProbNum}];
Grid[Questions,Spacings->{3,3},Alignment->{Center,Center}]

This is the code I am using to create 6 questions concerning a given periodic function where they have to identify the reference number and range value for a given domain value. The given domain values are in the list "eval".

Any advice would be great.

Andrew Bayliss
Andrew_Bayliss

Organization: Sparta High School
Department: Mathematics

Re: Changing the Output Style

Postby Kathy_Bautista » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:26 am

Andrew_Bayliss wrote:I am currently teaching a PreCalculus course, and I am using Mathematica to write units & texts for my course. But one thing I am having trouble is formatting the output. The stylesheet that I am using is "Textbook", and I would like to have the "f" in "f(x)" appear as Times New Roman - Bold Italic. I would like to do this as a default typeset for all my Outputs. It just looks more traditional/professional than the current typeset of Courier. I have tried editing the Stylesheet - "Output", but it does not change the look of the Output in the following code.

ProbNum= 6;
eval={13, 23, 30, -15, -17, 12.5};
firstrow={" ","f(x)", "=", "f(Reference #)", "=", "range value"};
Questions =Table[{StringForm["``.)",i],StringForm["f(``)",eval[[i]]],"=","f(__________)","=", "__________"},{i,1,ProbNum}];
Grid[Questions,Spacings->{3,3},Alignment->{Center,Center}]

This is the code I am using to create 6 questions concerning a given periodic function where they have to identify the reference number and range value for a given domain value. The given domain values are in the list "eval".

Any advice would be great.

Andrew Bayliss

Hi Andrew,

While a bit simplistic, will this work?

Code: Select all
ProbNum = 6;
eval = {13, 23, 30, -15, -17, 12.5};
firstrow = {" ", "f(x)", "=", "f(Reference #)", "=", "range value"};
TraditionalForm[Grid[Questions, Spacings -> {3, 3}, Alignment -> {Center, Center}]]

-Kathy
Katherine Bautista
Senior Academic Program Manager
Wolfram Research, Inc.
http://www.wolfram.com
Kathy_Bautista
Site Admin

Organization: Wolfram Research, Inc.
Department: Academic Initiatives

Re: Changing the Output Style

Postby Andrew_Bayliss » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:21 pm

Very odd. Using the code and having the default style for Output to be Times New Roman, This is what I got.

Code: Select all
count=Table[i,{i,1,6}]; 
m={13, 23, 30, -15, -17, 12.5}; 
firstrow={"  ","f(x)", "=", "f(Reference #)", "=", "range value"}; final=Table[{StringForm["``.)",i],StringForm["f(``)",m[[i]]],"=",StringForm["f(__________)"],"=", "__________"},{i,1,6}];
final=Prepend[final,firstrow];
TraditionalForm[Grid[final,Spacings->{3,3},Alignment->{Center,Center}]]

The first "f(#)" came out beautifully, but the rest stayed the same as before. I am going to try to post a picture of it later. Sorry, I know this is very simplistic and silly. It's just one font versus another. I thought it would end up being simple, but it doesn't seem to be turning out that way. I also thought that if I am able to fix it in this example, then maybe I can fix it when I use Mathematica to do some test/quiz generating.
Andrew_Bayliss

Organization: Sparta High School
Department: Mathematics

Return to Mathematics and Statistics (Primary/Secondary)