Live audio processing?

Applied Science, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Control Systems, Electrical Engineering, Fluid Mechanics, Image Processing, Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Signal Processing, Computational Geometry, Computer Graphics, Data Structures, Algorithm Development, Numerical Analysis, Cryptography, etc.
Forum Rules
By using the Wolfram Faculty Program Forum, you agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually oriented material. Wolfram Faculty Program Forum administrators have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit.

Personal Information: Posts in this forum may be viewed by non-members; however, the forum prohibits non-members from viewing your profile. Although your email address is hidden from both non-members and members, your account is initially configured to allow members to contact you via email through the forum. If you wish to hide your profile, or prohibit others from contacting you directly, you may change these settings by updating your profile through the User Control Panel.

Attachments: Attachments are not currently enabled on this forum. To share a file with others on this site, simply upload your file to the online storage service of your choice and include a link to the file within your post. If your school does not offer an online file storage and sharing service, the following sites provide free basic online file storage and sharing: Mozy, FilesAnywhere, Adrive, and KeepandShare.

Live audio processing?

Postby telefunkenvf14 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:35 am

Can anyone provide some ideas/guidance on processing live audio in Mathematica?

As an example, I'd like to feed it audio from a microphone (on my Windows 7 laptop), compute the FFT and display the frequency spectrum in real time. I have some guesses as to how one might go about this---temp .WAV files and reading in blocks of raw binary data---although perhaps there are lower level OS functions that would work better.

-RG
telefunkenvf14

Organization: University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Department: Economics

Re: Live audio processing?

Postby Kathy_Bautista » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:39 pm

telefunkenvf14 wrote:Can anyone provide some ideas/guidance on processing live audio in Mathematica?

As an example, I'd like to feed it audio from a microphone (on my Windows 7 laptop), compute the FFT and display the frequency spectrum in real time. I have some guesses as to how one might go about this---temp .WAV files and reading in blocks of raw binary data---although perhaps there are lower level OS functions that would work better.

-RG

Currently Mathematica does not contain any built-in functionality to process live audio like it can with live video using the CurrentImage command. But if you could send me additional details, I can file a suggestion to our developers on your behalf to see if it can be incorporated into a future version.

For those of you who aren't aware of the CurrentImage function, check out a recent blog post from my colleague Jon McLoone, who used Mathematica to make a webcam intruder alarm. Cool stuff!
http://blog.wolfram.com/2010/11/10/how- ... athematica

-Kathy
Katherine Bautista
Senior Academic Program Manager
Wolfram Research, Inc.
http://www.wolfram.com
Kathy_Bautista
Site Admin

Organization: Wolfram Research, Inc.
Department: Academic Initiatives

Postby telefunkenvf14 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:23 am

Kathy_Bautista wrote:
telefunkenvf14 wrote:Can anyone provide some ideas/guidance on processing live audio in Mathematica?

-RG

Currently Mathematica does not contain any built-in functionality to process live audio like it can with live video using the CurrentImage command. But if you could send me additional details, I can file a suggestion to our developers on your behalf to see if it can be incorporated into a future version.

-Kathy

I think I'd just need some help accessing audio streams as they're being recorded, and some practical advice on how to implement the related audio processing efficiently in MMA (which may not even be possible--don't know if the front end could keep up or not---maybe CUDA would make it doable, if I ever get CUDA running on my machine....) For example, if I'm recording an audio file in REAPER (digital audio workstation software), there may be a way to read the binary data as it's being continuously dumped into WAV format on my harddrive. Then again, I may have to use some confusing Windows audio API (doesn't look that easy to me :? ) and live with audio from a crappy, built-in soundcard.

Another alternative would be to try and access streaming binary data directly from my firewire based audio interface. It's a Fireface 800, made by RME.

While I'm wishing... can you prod a developer to put MIDI *IMPORT* on the to-do list? :D

-RG

(Edited to request midi import... it was late when I made the original request!) :D
telefunkenvf14

Organization: University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Department: Economics

Postby Clemens_Dempers » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:02 pm

I have also wondered about a live audio feature. Thought that if it is available for video, audio should also be there.
Clemens_Dempers

Organization: Blue Stallion Technologies cc
Department: Sales

Return to Engineering and Computer Science (Higher Education)