Matrix Font Style

General discussion about Mathematica features and functionality...
Forum Rules
By using the Wolfram Faculty Program Forum, you agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually oriented material. Wolfram Faculty Program Forum administrators have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit.

Personal Information: Posts in this forum may be viewed by non-members; however, the forum prohibits non-members from viewing your profile. Although your email address is hidden from both non-members and members, your account is initially configured to allow members to contact you via email through the forum. If you wish to hide your profile, or prohibit others from contacting you directly, you may change these settings by updating your profile through the User Control Panel.

Attachments: Attachments are not currently enabled on this forum. To share a file with others on this site, simply upload your file to the online storage service of your choice and include a link to the file within your post. If your school does not offer an online file storage and sharing service, the following sites provide free basic online file storage and sharing: Mozy, FilesAnywhere, Adrive, and KeepandShare.

Matrix Font Style

Postby Gregory » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:12 pm

Hello everyone,

Is there a way to get a matrix font style for typesetting in Mathematica or do I simply make the regular typesetting boldface. I'm thinking of the matrix style that is used in MathType, which looks to be boldface and non-italicized.

Gregory
Gregory

Organization: Concordia University
Department: Finance

Re: Matrix Font Style

Postby Michael_Morrison » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:26 pm

Gregory,

What type of cells do you want to change: input cells, output cells, text cells, etc.?

Text in text cells is very easy to change with the Format menu. You can also set up a stylesheet definition, which will make all of your text cells be in boldface, for example. (I can help with that if you need assistance.)

You can also use Style[] to change the font used for typesetting output, and this can even be applied after TraditionalForm[]. Some examples:
Style[TraditionalForm[RandomInteger[{0, 9}, {5, 5}]],
FontFamily -> "Arial"]

Style[TraditionalForm[Integrate[x^2 + 2 x + 1, {x, 0, 2 \[Pi]}]],
FontFamily -> "Georgia", 18, Bold]

Let us know exactly what you'd like to do and we'll figure out the best solution.

Thanks,
Michael
Michael_Morrison

Organization: Wolfram Research, Inc.
Department: Academic Initiatives

Postby Gregory » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:58 am

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the suggestions. Today, I had been doing, more or less, what you suggested, and that is using a combination of the Format menu and the Style[] command. I guess I'm on the right track.

Regards,

Gregory
Gregory

Organization: Concordia University
Department: Finance

Postby Michael_Morrison » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:57 pm

Gregory,

OK, cool. If you run into any snags, let us know.

And if anyone has other suggestions, please weigh in --- this is an area that I like to learn about as well. :D

Cheers,
Michael
Michael_Morrison

Organization: Wolfram Research, Inc.
Department: Academic Initiatives

Return to General Mathematica Discussion