Local and regional Mathematica user groups

Check here every Tuesday for your Teacher Tuesday special--offering free teacher resources, exclusive discounts, and the opportunity to win some great Mathematica-related prizes...
Forum Rules
By using the Wolfram Faculty Program Forum, you agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually oriented material. Wolfram Faculty Program Forum administrators have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit.

Personal Information: Posts in this forum may be viewed by non-members; however, the forum prohibits non-members from viewing your profile. Although your email address is hidden from both non-members and members, your account is initially configured to allow members to contact you via email through the forum. If you wish to hide your profile, or prohibit others from contacting you directly, you may change these settings by updating your profile through the User Control Panel.

Attachments: Attachments are not currently enabled on this forum. To share a file with others on this site, simply upload your file to the online storage service of your choice and include a link to the file within your post. If your school does not offer an online file storage and sharing service, the following sites provide free basic online file storage and sharing: Mozy, FilesAnywhere, Adrive, and KeepandShare.

Local and regional Mathematica user groups

Postby Kathy_Bautista » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:58 am

Mathematica is used by millions of people at universities, colleges, and schools in 54 countries. Local and regional Mathematica user groups can be found around the world, which offer a great way to connect with other Mathematica users in your area who share similar interests. Here are just a few local and regional MUGs:
Are you are involved in a local Mathematica user group? If so, please let us and other Faculty Program members know about it.

Are you interested in creating one in your area? What can Wolfram Research do to help facilitate the creation of local user groups throughout the world?

-Kathy
Katherine Bautista
Senior Academic Program Manager
Wolfram Research, Inc.
http://www.wolfram.com
Kathy_Bautista
Site Admin

Organization: Wolfram Research, Inc.
Department: Academic Initiatives

Re: Local and regional Mathematica user groups

Postby telefunkenvf14 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:50 am

I'd really like to start a local user group at my university. Is there any way you could help faculty program members identify registered local users and put us in touch with each other?

IDEA: Maybe you could do this via the new 'Wolfram User Portal' that you seem to be working on??

-RG
telefunkenvf14

Organization: University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Department: Economics

Re: Local and regional Mathematica user groups

Postby Kathy_Bautista » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:08 pm

telefunkenvf14 wrote:I'd really like to start a local user group at my university. Is there any way you could help faculty program members identify registered local users and put us in touch with each other?

Absolutely! I'll run a search of all Faculty Program members on your campus and email you directly with this information. I'll also let your account rep know that you're interested in starting a local user group and see if they can give you the names of some other Mathematica users on campus.

telefunkenvf14 wrote:IDEA: Maybe you could do this via the new 'Wolfram User Portal' that you seem to be working on??

Very interesting idea. Of course we would need to create some sort of opt-in mechanism for people to agree to sharing their information with others, but certainly worth looking into.

I'm on a team that is working on the development of the Wolfram User Portal, so I'll add this to our agenda. Thanks for the great suggestion!

-Kathy
Katherine Bautista
Senior Academic Program Manager
Wolfram Research, Inc.
http://www.wolfram.com
Kathy_Bautista
Site Admin

Organization: Wolfram Research, Inc.
Department: Academic Initiatives

Return to Teacher Tuesdays