Visual Linear Algebra: with Maple and Mathematica Tutorials
Publisher: Wiley Year: 2005 ISBN: 0471682993 (Hardcover) 550 pp Book Includes: CD-ROM
From the back cover:
Featuring a unique blend of interactive computer tutorials and student-centered text, Herman and Pepe's Visual Linear Algebra
offers an innovative new way to learn linear algebra. This text and accompanying CD work together to help students achieve a thorough understanding of core concepts and the skills they need to apply them.
With Visual Linear Algebra
, students can:
- Become actively engaged in the material. The exercises, demonstrations, explorations, visualizations, and animations in the tutorials stimulate student interest, encourage students to think about mathematics, and help them check their comprehension.
- Build a strong geometric understanding. The authors use geometry extensively to help students develop an intuitive understanding of the concepts of linear algebra.
- Learn the language of linear algebra. The authors' innovative "Can You Speak Linear Algebra?" exercises help students use mathematical terminology correctly in their written work.
- Work through interesting applications. Ten fascinating applications, each thoroughly developed in its own tutorial, allow readers to engage in substantial activities that yield worthwhile results.
- Develop an intuitive grasp of the concepts. Visual Linear Algebra progresses from the concrete and experiential to the abstract and theoretical, to help students develop confidence in their understanding and make the transition to higher mathematics.