Although now rare in college and professional settings, graphing calculators are still common in high-school math education. But as full-scale computers become cheaper, smaller and ever more ubiquitous, the future of standalone calculators is increasingly unclear.
As the world's broadest and deepest mathematical system, Mathematica's computational capabilities vastly exceed anything that can be achieved with a calculator—and provide a completely different level of educational possibilities.
While calculators are easy to use for simple operations, they rapidly become unwieldy when many steps are required. Mathematica, on the other hand, is immediately able to offer a fully scalable interface with dramatically more compelling graphics and interactivity, as well as greater systematic learnability.
With its unique document-centered interface and full support for symbolic mathematical notation, Mathematica provides a complete environment for educational computing, seamlessly combining math, visualization, interactivity, programming and text. With support for the latest interface and presentation systems, together with immediate access to thousands of student-modifiable interactive educational demonstrations, Mathematica redefines the role of calculation in the classroom.
Vastly more computational capabilities than any calculator »
Easy-to-read typeset input and output »
Document-centered interface records calculation steps for review, reuse or sharing »
Full easy-to-learn modern programming language »
Thousands of classroom demonstrations immediately available »
Adaptive sampling in 2D and 3D plots for greater fidelity »
- State-of-the-art dynamic and animated graphics
Full support for note- and waveform-based sound »
High-quality arbitrary-precision numerical computation »
Full coverage of calculus, equation solving, etc. »
- Efficient scalable computation allowing use of real-world examples
Immediate import of external data from files, devices and the web »
Built-in access to extensive curated real-world datasets »
Fully integrated document capabilities for student work, courseware, etc. »
- Publication-quality output
Built-in slide show presentation mode »
Support for peripherals such as gamepads, microphones, projectors, etc. »
- Runs on powerful PC hardware: faster, more memory, full keyboards, screens, etc.
Built-in help system with thousands of examples »
- Well-developed site-licensing policies
- Mathematica skills relevant throughout education and career
- Integration with Wolfram MathWorld and other educational resource sites
- Mathematica is used to test all major brands of calculators
- Studies have shown high effectiveness of Mathematica in the classroom
- Many Intel Science Talent winners (as well as Nobel prizewinners) use Mathematica
- Wolfram Research has been consistently involved in education for two decades
- The Wolfram Integrator has computed nearly a billion integrals
- Mathematica has been ported to the OLPC "$100 laptop"
- Wolfram Research works with producers of next-generation computer hardware
is now available!
Over 400 new functions, including the new Wolfram Predictive Interface…