|More about Mathematica »
Extended Array Operations
The Mathematica language has always been exceptionally convenient and efficient in its handling of arrays. Mathematica 6 adds a collection of powerful new array operations. Some generalize Mathematica's elegant mechanisms for handling multidimensional arrays, while others use Mathematica's unique architecture to allow symbolic pattern specifications for array indices.
- New compact ;; (Span) notation for specifying general index ranges.
- Band for constructing banded arrays from symbolic descriptions.
- Symbolic indices and patterns in ReplacePart.
- Generalized flattening and joining operations for subarrays in any number of dimensions. »
- Pattern language generalized to allow sequence patterns and select longest matches. »
- List-oriented LengthWhile and TakeWhile functional programming.
See Also New In 6.0