(Visual Studio, Xcode, Eclipse, JBuilder, NetBeans, ...)
Mathematica offers a uniquely powerful environment for software development. Together with Mathematica's integrative symbolic architecture and built-in document-centered interface, the Eclipse-based Wolfram Workbench provides top-of-the-line cross-system development capabilities for even the largest software projects.
The Mathematica language has pioneered many important programming concepts and, especially with its immediate access to Mathematica's vast web of built-in algorithms, is widely regarded as the world's single most productive programming environment. Also, built into Mathematica is a new generation of robust cross-platform user interface development capabilities that dramatically reduce the complexity of producing professional interfaces.
Mathematica fully supports modern distributed computing and deployment environments. Coupled with Wolfram Workbench, it provides a unique hub for developing arbitrarily complex software systems that integrate components not only in Mathematica but in languages like C++, Java, XML and SQL. Mathematica's interactive interface also allows immediate testing of components, as well as making it possible for small one-off programs to be immediately integrated into large enterprise-scale projects.
Mathematica's unparalleled built-in analysis and visualization capabilities provide a new level of code visualization and management for large software projects. In addition, Mathematica's ability to handle programs symbolically, together with its unique pattern-matching capabilities and built-in theorem proving, allows Mathematica to be used for a range of important new forms of code analysis and validation.
Development Environment Features in Mathematica:
- Lightweight project-based development with Wolfram Workbench
- Immediate interactive execution of all code
- Advanced integrated semantics-aware code editor
- Fully developed code folding system
- Symbolic code templates
- Integrated unit-testing system
- Integrated execution analysis and speed profiling »
- Debugging with code or error break points »
- Extensible revision management for CVS, etc.
- Wolfram Workbench fully compatible with all Eclipse technology
- All systems fully compatible on all computer platforms »
Key Advantages of Mathematica as a Development Environment:
- Broad environment for development, computation, interface, visualization, etc.
- Heterogeneous development environment integrating multiple languages
- Immediate symbolic access to Java, C#, etc. classes »
- Fully scriptable symbolic code refactoring
- Symbolic code searching with semantic patterns
- Integrated multilanguage debugging
- Integrated professional-quality documentation-generation capabilities »
- Traditional mathematical notation for easy readability of technical code »
- Integrated IDE for grid and web deployment »
- Graph-based code visualization
Development Environment Interoperability:
- Most of Mathematica is developed in the Mathematica language
- Mathematica is developed using the Mathematica-based development environment
- Wolfram Workbench was the winner of a Jolt Productivity Award
See Also Analyses On: