Data Retention Policy Addendum to Wolfram's Privacy Policies: Compliance with the European Union General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
The Wolfram Companies ("Wolfram") are committed to protecting and enforcing your privacy rights in your use of and access to the broad array of
Wolfram products and services. Your personal information ("Personal Data") will be protected in accordance with jurisdictional law and policy as expressed and explained herein.
Wolfram selectively collects the Personal Data you provide and retains it carefully, sensibly, lawfully and transparently.
We collect and hold Personal Data about our customers, users and enthusiasts, employees and others in the European Union who access our resources and services in a manner consistent
with the lawful bases as outlined in the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). This Data Retention Policy Addendum to Wolfram's Privacy Policies outlines our
GDPR compliance in collecting, processing and using your Personal Data. It also describes how you can review any Personal Data and withdraw any consent you have given us to store it.
How does Wolfram collect Personal Data?
Wolfram collects Personal Data when you do any of the following:
Online: This includes but may not be limited to the following:
- When you visit our websites, our web servers identify various elements about your access, including the IP address of your computer, type of browser, operating system, etc.
- When you complete a form, download software, sign up for a mailing list, enter a contest, etc.
- When you sign up for a Wolfram ID.
- When you use the Wolfram Cloud or Community, including blog comments and user feedback.
- When you submit content through web-based sites/services.
- When you submit a job application.
- When you use Live Chat for technical support or other help requests.
- When you attend an online training course/seminar.
- When you use web-service-accessing commands in a desktop product.
- When you purchase a product or service.
- When you access products via a Network/Site License associated with your organization or institution.
On the Phone:
- When you call us for support, information, sales or other general questions about our company.
- When we host or attend seminars, conferences, job fairs, hackathons, training courses, marketing events and other in-person events. We may ask you to complete a form if you are
interested in hearing more about what Wolfram has to offer.
What Personal Data does Wolfram collect?
We only collect and store the Personal Data necessary to provide you with your desired services or products. Depending on the circumstances, the following are the types of
Personal Data you might provide us:
- Name and contact information for you individually or as an organization/institution.
- Account information, such as your Wolfram ID and password. We also may store account information that you may choose to provide to us relating to your accounts with third-party
- Payment information.
- License and subscription information, such as the Wolfram products and services you have purchased and the licensed users and devices for those products.
- Usage information, such as which Wolfram products and services you utilize, when and how you access or use our products and services, error reports, web analytics (cookies) and
- Device and network information, such as your IP address and operating system.
- The content of your communications to us, such as feedback and technical support requests.
- Other information that you submit to Wolfram, such as information requests, utilization of Wolfram online data upload and storage, or submissions to Demonstrations, Community or
How does Wolfram use the Personal Data collected?
- To provide products, services and support requested by you or on your behalf.
- To process and ship orders that you place with us or that are placed on your behalf, and to provide you with documentation or other material in support of such orders.
- To authenticate a Wolfram ID.
- To provide you with secure use of our websites, products and services.
- To manage licenses or subscriptions and the use of our products and services.
- To administer and improve our products, websites and services.
- To enable delivery of consulting or training services.
- To provide responsive and accurate information in conjunction with an order for products or services.
- To respond to or record an application for a seminar, trade show or other event.
- To obtain feedback measuring your satisfaction with Wolfram products, services and events.
- To notify you of new products, updates and other information about Wolfram products or services.
- To provide information regarding the renewal of agreements, version upgrades and other notifications about products and services that you license or use.
- To send promotional material about our company, products, services and events. You may opt out.
- To allow you to integrate Wolfram products and services with third-party services at your request.
- To process an employment-related request or application from you.
- To fulfill our agreements or comply with obligations imposed by applicable laws or law enforcement.
Why does Wolfram retain some Personal Data?
The GDPR's Article 6(1) specifies reasons that companies may lawfully keep or process an individual's Personal Data. These four generally apply to what Wolfram does:
- Consent: You have given us clear consent to process your Personal Data for specific purposes.
- Contract: Some Personal Data is necessary if we have a contract with you or to complete specific steps before entering into a contract with you.
- Legal obligations: Wolfram may be sometimes required to process Personal Data for non-contract-based legal requirements.
- Legitimate interests: The processing of your Personal Data is necessary for Wolfram's legitimate interests.
How does Wolfram share Personal Data with third parties?
When we share personal information, we require the recipient to protect your Personal Data in compliance with the law. Wolfram may share information with affiliates, partners,
service providers, authorized resellers and distributors and relevant third parties in order to fulfill the limited purposes described above.
If you would like to request a copy of the Personal Data we have for you or have questions about the safeguards we use to protect it, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How long and where does Wolfram store Personal Data?
We may retain your Personal Data to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Data Retention Policy Addendum for as long as needed, as allowed or as required by law. For instance, we
may retain and use your Personal Data as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, prevent fraud and abuse and fulfill and enforce our agreements.
All Personal Data supplied to Wolfram is stored on robust and reliable systems that are continually monitored and updated as per the latest security practices for data protection.
What are your rights with respect to the Personal Data Wolfram processes and retains?
You have rights with respect to your Personal Data; however, not all are absolute rights, and some only apply in certain circumstances. Your rights include, but are not limited to:
- The right to access your Personal Data.
- The right to rectification, meaning correcting false information or completing missing information.
- The right to erasure, also known as "the right to be forgotten."
- The right to restrict processing; you can ask us to limit the way in which we use your data.
- The right to data portability, allowing you to move, copy or transfer Personal Data.
How can you contact Wolfram regarding your Personal Data and your rights?
By emailing us at email@example.com, you can exercise various rights as outlined herein.
What actions we are able to take depend on the specific Personal Data and the lawful basis under which we are processing it. We welcome all inquiries and endeavor to respond to you
quickly and accurately.