Data Retention Policy Addendum to Wolfram's Privacy Policies: Compliance with the European Union General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
The Wolfram Companies ("Wolfram") are committed to protecting and enforcing your privacy rights in your use of and access to the broad array of Wolfram products and services. Your personal information ("Personal Data") will be protected in accordance with jurisdictional law and policy as expressed and explained herein. Wolfram selectively collects the Personal Data you provide and retains it carefully, sensibly, lawfully and transparently.
We collect and hold Personal Data about our customers, users, enthusiasts, employees and others in the European Union who access our resources and services in a manner consistent with the lawful bases as outlined in the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). This Data Retention Policy Addendum to Wolfram's Privacy Policies outlines our GDPR compliance in collecting, processing and using your Personal Data. It also describes how you can review any Personal Data and withdraw any consent you have given us to store it.
What Personal Data does Wolfram collect?
We collect the following categories of personal information:
- As a customer, prospective customer or user of our Products, we may collect information such as your name; contact information, including phone number and email address; institution; and address.
- Account information, such as your Wolfram ID and password. We also may store account information that you may choose to provide to us relating to your accounts with third-party service providers.
- Payment information.
- License and subscription information, such as the Wolfram products and services you have purchased and the licensed users and devices for those products.
- Usage information, such as which Wolfram products and services you utilize, when and how you access or use our products and services, error reports, web analytics (cookies) and performance data.
- Device and network information, such as your IP address and operating system.
- The content of your communications to us, such as feedback and technical support requests.
- Other information that you submit to Wolfram, such as information requests, utilization of Wolfram online data upload and storage, or submissions to the Wolfram Demonstrations Project, Wolfram Community or other Wolfram websites.
How does Wolfram use the Personal Data collected?
The information collected from customers, users or prospective customers may be used for the following purposes:
- To provide secure access to our products, services and support.
- To manage prospective purchases, purchased products and payments, including to provide quotes or offers for, and updates about, our products and services.
- To authenticate a Wolfram ID.
- To manage licenses or subscriptions and the use of our products and services.
- To administer, manage and improve our products, websites and services.
- To enable delivery of consulting or training services.
- To allow you to integrate Wolfram products and services with third-party services at your request.
- To process an employment-related request or application from you.
- To fulfill our agreements or comply with obligations imposed by applicable laws or law enforcement.
- For marketing purposes, but only where we have express or implied consent to contact someone or we are otherwise permitted by law to do so. Registrants may also opt out at any time by following the specific opt-out instructions within the communication that we send.
How does Wolfram collect Personal Data?
Wolfram may collect your personal information in a number of ways, including, but not limited to:
- Directly from you through:
- your purchasing and use of Wolfram products.
- attendance at our training courses, events or seminars.
- From our customers who purchase access to our products for their students, teachers or employees.
- From third parties, such as our distributors, resellers and marketing partners.
Wolfram does not collect data from children under the age of 13 without explicit parental consent. Any data collected from children aged 13 and above is only through registered use of our educational products.
How does Wolfram share Personal Data with third parties?
Wolfram will keep your personal information confidential and will not sell or disclose your information to any third-party organizations unless:
- It is necessary for Wolfram to provide our products or services, including technical support.
- It is necessary for Wolfram to deliver any training, events and webinars.
- We are required to share your information with a third party such as a regulator or court in order to comply with law, regulation, legal process, court order or subpoena.
- To enforce our Terms and Conditions and/or terms of the Wolfram license granted to access and use our products.
When we share personal information, we require the recipient to protect your Personal Data in compliance with the law. Wolfram may share information with affiliates, partners, service providers, authorized resellers and distributors and relevant third parties in order to fulfill the limited purposes described above.
If you would like to request a copy of the Personal Data we have for you or have questions about the safeguards we use to protect it, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How long and where does Wolfram store Personal Data?
We may retain your Personal Data to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Data Retention Policy Addendum for as long as needed, as allowed or as required by law. For instance, we may retain and use your Personal Data as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, prevent fraud and abuse, and fulfill and enforce our agreements.
All Personal Data supplied to Wolfram is stored on robust and reliable systems that are continually monitored and updated as per the latest security practices for data protection.
What are your rights with respect to the Personal Data Wolfram processes and retains?
You have rights with respect to your Personal Data; however, not all are absolute rights, and some only apply in certain circumstances. Your rights include, but are not limited to:
- The right to access your Personal Data.
- The right to rectification, meaning correcting false information or completing missing information.
- The right to erasure, also known as "the right to be forgotten."
- The right to restrict processing; you can ask us to limit the way in which we use your data.
- The right to data portability, allowing you to move, copy or transfer Personal Data.
How can you contact Wolfram regarding your Personal Data and your rights?
By emailing us at email@example.com, you can exercise various rights as outlined herein.
What actions we are able to take depend on the specific Personal Data and the lawful basis under which we are processing it. We welcome all inquiries and endeavor to respond to you quickly and accurately.
Effective 1 September 2022